If you're living in one of the 21 states where AT&T offers internet service and are eligible for one of the provider's fiber plans, then you're set for a hassle-free online experience. AT&T fiber internet is the top choice for millions of Americans when it comes to reliable connectivity at a terrific value.
The top-rated AT&T’s ultra-fast fiber internet service is accessible in over 15 million customer locations. The phenomenal AT&T fiber internet delivers symmetrical gig speeds with guaranteed 99% reliability. It makes sure all your connected devices retain seamless connectivity throughout the premises. So you can enjoy hardcore streaming, quick surfing, heavy-duty gaming, and more without a hitch.
And that’s not all, your AT&T Fiber subscription also comes with a Wi-Fi Gateway—a modem and Wi-Fi router combo. The AT&T fiber modem/router you receive may be any one of these common makes & models: BGW320, BGW210, Pace 5268, NVG599, and NVG589. While AT&T provides you the option to get the connection professionally installed, if you choose to take the DIY route, this article puts together all the basic information you’d need to set up your AT&T fiber modem.
AT&T Fiber Modem: What You Need to Know!
In the case of AT&T, all equipment promises to give you stellar performance. However, to get the best possible results in terms of performance and coverage of your internet connection, it is imperative to learn the basics about your ATT fiber modem.
So if you're interested in learning more about your AT&T fiber modem, this article will give you the answers you are seeking!
First Things First: Setup Process
It might seem like a daunting task to set up your new device. But it doesn't have to be if you follow these steps carefully:
Setup Steps for AT&T Fiber Modem:
The best thing about this setup process is:
- You won’t need any tools or technicians, just an app to help you in the setup process.
- The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes.
Now, let’s walk you through the steps and get you connected:
- Unpack your Install Box to pull your device out of the box.
- On your smart device, download the free AT&T Smart Home Manager app from att.com/smarthomemanagerapp.
- If you have already registered, sign in using your login credentials.
- If you are not yet registered, select Install New Hardware.
- Find a QR code on your AT&T fiber modem and scan it. The app will then prompt you.
- In case of any issues, select The QR code won’t work to manually enter the device’s code from the bottom label of your device.
- After that, you will see a setup screen. Select Get Started.
- Next, you will see a list of items on the screen like Wi-Fi gateway, Fiber cable, etc.
- The next step is to locate a fiber jack or service box in your home. One of these devices will be installed in your house. (If you can’t find your fiber jack or service box, select I can’t find my fiber jack or I can’t find my AT&T service box link in your app. And the app will locate it for you.)
The next steps may differ depending on whether you’ve fiber jack or AT&T service box installed.
For fiber jack:
- Once you have found the fiber jack, take the fiber cable present in your install box, remove the black caps from its ends, and plug one end into the bottom of your fiber jack. You’ll hear a click once it is properly inserted.
- Next, take the bridge component present in your install box and push the loose end of the fiber cable into the bridge until it is fully secured.
- After that, insert the open end of the bridge on the SFP port of your AT&T fiber modem/router.
For AT&T service box:
- Once you have found the AT&T service box, take the ONT cable from your install box, slide the cover on your service box, and gently insert the ONT cable in the ethernet port at the bottom of your service box. You’ll hear a click once it’s properly locked in.
- Take the loose end of the ONT cable, and plug it into the ONT port at the back of your AT&T fiber modem/router.
- Next, take the power cord from your install box and insert one end into a working outlet and another into the back of your new AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway.
- When the power supply is correctly connected, you should see a small green LED light.
- Wait for a few minutes till the green light starts blinking.
- Next, select the Activate gateway button on the app.
- The activation process may take around 10 minutes.
- After that, you will see a success message on your app, and the light on your gateway should be solid white.
Congratulations, you’re now good to go!
Connect Devices to Wi-Fi With the QR code on AT&T Fiber Modem
Many smart mobile devices with a camera can scan and read info stored in QR codes. Use the one on your AT&T fiber modem/router to connect smart devices to your home network, only if you’re using the default Wi-Fi network name and password. Here’s how:
- Open the camera on your smart device
- Scan the QR code present on your device
- Select the notification to join your home Wi-Fi
Change Wi-Fi Info
Wondering how you can change your default Wi-Fi credentials? Follow these methods to change your Wi-Fi information for different AT&T fiber modems and keep your network safe and secure.
#1: Change Info Via Smart Home Manager
For the best Wi-Fi performance, try to set the same Wi-Fi name and password for both radios, so you have just a single network. Here’s how you can change your Wi-Fi info via Smart Home Manager:
- Select My Wi-Fi.
- Choose Edit next to Wi-Fi name or password.
- Next, select X to clear existing info and enter a new Wi-Fi name or password.
- Select Save.
- Finally, reconnect your devices with the updated network info.
#2: Update Info from Device Connected to Your Network
For BGW210 & BGW320 Users
- Go to your gateway settings.
- First select Home Network and then Wi-Fi
- In Access Code, enter your Device Access Code present on the label on the side of your AT&T gateway.
- Select Continue.
- Scroll to Home or Guest SSID. You may have unique network names for each network frequency—2.4GHz, 2.4GHz Guest, and 5.0GHz.
- Update network info:
- For Wi-Fi name: Check if User SSID Enable is on, and then in Network Name (SSID), enter a new network name.
- For Wi-Fi password: Select WPA in the Security drop-down, then in Password, type a new password.
- Select Save.
- Finally, reconnect your devices with the updated credentials.
For Pace 5268 Users
- Go to your AT&T gateway settings.
- From Gateway Status, choose Wireless.
- Scroll to User or Guest Network. You may have unique network names for each network frequency—2.4GHz, 2.4GHz Guest, and 5.0GHz.
- Update network info:
- For Wi-Fi name: In Network Name (SSID), enter a new network name.
- For Wi-Fi password: Select Use custom Wi-Fi Network password, then enter a new password.
- Select Save.
- If required, in Access code, enter the Device Access code from the label on the side of your gateway.
- Select Submit.
- Finally, reconnect your devices with the new network info.
Note: The device model for the AT&T fiber modem/router may vary, but the method for updating info is more or less the same with all models.
There You Are!
We hope this guide helps you sort out any doubts you may have about self installing your AT& Fiber modem―the process of setting it up and connecting your wireless devices through it is not that complicated an affair. Anyone who can read the instructions and comprehend them adequately can easily do the job. All you need to do is follow each step carefully because it is in the hands of this process to make your product function smoothly.
If at any point in time, you stumble upon an issue or have a question, you can reach out to a live AT&T customer service representative at 1-855-925-2541, and let them promptly help direct you to a solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I have to use an ATT fiber modem?
AT&T requires you to use their gateway for their fiber service. You can disable the AT&T fiber router portion and connect a better-performing router to it. Of course, you can use your own modem, but AT&T will still charge you the monthly equipment fee.
2. Does AT&T fiber come with a router?
Yes, your AT&T fiber subscription comes with a Wi-Fi Gateway—a modem and Wi-Fi router combo.
3. Is ATT fiber Internet good?
Yes, AT&T fiber internet is the top choice for millions of Americans when it comes to reliable connectivity at a terrific value. The service delivers symmetrical gig speeds along with guaranteed 99% reliability.
4. How does fiber internet connect to your house?
There are 3 main types of fiber internet connections that bring fiber internet to your home:
- Fiber to the Home (FTTH), Fiber to the Premises (FTTP), Fiber to the Desk (FTTD), and Fiber to the Subscriber (FTTS): Internet connection reaches your home via a fiber optic line all the way through.
- Fiber to the Building (FTTB): Internet connection reaches a multi-family dwelling via fiber-optic lines and then gets distributed among residential spaces inside the building via copper lines.
- Fiber to the Node (FTTN), Fiber to the Cabinet or Curb (FTTC), Fiber to the Street (FTTS): Internet connection reaches the node or cabinet in a neighborhood street via pure fiber optic cables. But from the common distribution point onwards, data transfer through copper lines.